Thursday, February 20, 2020

Freeze-Frame: Now That He Uses Words More Often...

...I can see inside his head.

(And it's a funny place.)

I was getting dressed for the day, Pip chewing on a toy bulldozer at my feet and Tadhg muttering to himself as he circled our bed. He was holding his Very Special Christmas Stocking Chapstick in his hand. At first, I thought he was applying chapstick to the Very Special Quilt my mom made Rundy and I for our wedding, but surreptitious observation led to other conclusions.

Tadhg, hummingbird-like, was studying the brightly-colored scrappy bits of vintage floral fabric all over the quilt and going from one scrap to another to get himself "drinks." The chapstick was his cup, and he would dip it into whatever fabric struck his fancy, then say to himself, "Drink! F'owers. Water." before lifting his chapstick chalice to his lips and slurping away like a tippler.

No comments:

Post a Comment