Thursday, March 21, 2024

If Ye Olde Blog Resurrects

 it can only mean one thing.

There's a new baby. 

Didn't blog the pregnancy announcement, didn't blog the birth, but I'll be hanged if I don't keep doing my silly monthiversary posts (even if this season of life means I take the photos on the monthiversary day and don't put up the blog post until a week later).

As I was gathering photos of the past month with our new boy, I was sucked into scrolling through the most recent few hundred family photos that just sit collecting dust in the ether. That led to being struck by wistfulness that I can't blog anymore; I have so many wonderful pictures of life and children and funny things and lovely things, charming things and painfully (yes, already!) nostalgic ones. But then I have to become resigned to it again--my blog is currently just for monthiversaries and broken-record written regrets that I can't blog anymore. Rinse and repeat. 

Ah, well. 

Maybe someday when the babies stop joining us there will be time again and I can go back and wish myself into old photos of the children when they were little. But until then, here we are.

The Pregnancy

As usual, appointments and ultrasounds and a marathon starting at 6 months when my back starts giving me grief. And like with Tessa, the being-pregnant part lasted a good bit longer than I would have chosen. I think I'm just one of those people whose babies like to stay in for 42 weeks if they're given the chance. The last 2 weeks were like trying to summit Everest every day keeping up with life and the other kids and surviving my own body, but at least the stories are true--no one is pregnant forever. 



The Birth

Pretty sure a lot of people were praying for things to go well. And they did. Active labor was short. I was able to do the whole "Rundy, I think it's time to go to the hospital" thing for the first time ever (actually, it was him telling me he thought it was time because I wasn't sure and didn't want to go too early...). No Pitocin, no hiccups, no anything complicated. Just a slightly hairy drive to the hospital in the wee hours the day after Valentine's Day and a new son born into the world just an hour after getting there. My blessed OB showed up for me in the middle of the night even though she wasn't on call. Our new boy was our biggest baby yet by a good bit, and also the easiest to get on the outside. Holding his solid, wailing little self, I was overcome by such joy and relief at how he had come that I actually laughed. Laugh-cried? So grateful that God was so kind.



The Baby

Enoch Abel was born on February 15th at 2:10 in the morning. 10 pounds, 22 inches. Enoch means dedicated, consecrated, trained, disciplined, and Abel means breath or vapor. 

Welcome to Here and Now, little Enoch. May your breath here be for God and for good all your days, however many they number.


The Homecoming













The First Days

There's nothing like 'em. Sleepy, comfy, utterly exhausted, and snuggly.





-----------

"He Pooped! A Series in Three Parts"




-----------







1 comment:

  1. Hearty congratulations from the Newman household! We've been waiting with bated breath (and complaining under it, hehehe) for a blog post about your little one! Welcome Enoch! That is one LOVED little boy! ( My favorite of these photos are the black and white one of all the children kissing and touching Enoch all over- and Enoch's little eye open and taking it all in... and the one of YOU surrounded by all those longed-for children! God is so good! Can't wait to see (and hold?!) Enoch in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete