Friday, January 22, 2021

A Month With Our Marnie

Time flies ever faster. 

Maranatha has been smiling for about a week now, first with lots of coaxing and now a bit more readily. She's started giving the softest, sweetest girly little coos in the past couple of days. She is the gift always in my arms to remind me of the Giver. She is the delight of her brothers, hugged and kissed and comforted and generally made much of. She is the first daughter of her daddy, who loves her abundantly and can't wait to torment her as she grows.

We are so excited to know you more and more, Marnie Girl.  


As all babies are, Marnie is her own self; she doesn't merely have a face borrowed from some distant relative. HOWEVER. Thirty-three grandchildren deep, my mother finally has a baby to claim as her very own mini-me. Rundy and I immediately thought she looked like my mom, and in the past month several unrelated people have commented the same without being asked (so it must be true). She also at odd, random times based purely on her expression or the shape of her mouth or her dimples has reminded me of her Uncle Evan or her Grandpa Purdy or her Aunt Titi. In general she doesn't resemble any of them a bit. It's just those split-second moments that are uncanny. 

You have no idea how hard I worked to get some relatively traditionally "cute" photos. Marnie is a wonderfully distinctive looking newborn, and she has a truly impressive ability to wear expressions that make you chuckle (or outright belly laugh) when you see them in still form in a photo. 

Exhibit A--Boring, More Normal Marnie: 











Exhibit B--Marnie at her Finest: 





And then, to cap it all off, have her wear a handmade baby turban before bed (given to me as a hand-me-down from I-can't-remember-who). This particular hat always makes me think she looks like a little old lady wearing a shower cap. Coo at her. Make her smile. Take a bunch of pictures and then laugh heartily at her wonderful funniness in all of them.




She's such a funny little dear. 

And we love her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment