Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Freeze-Frame: Mr. Affirmation

Tadhg has always been a little affirmer. He has his sins like the rest of us, but the boy knows how to encourage.

I woke this morning already weary. I've had an exhausting few days with a lot on my mind and a big sleep deficit. Then the morning started with a bang--discipline, discouragement, theatrics from a certain Peregrine Luke.

Enter Mr. Affirmation.

After an episode in which I wasn't as patient as I ought to have been over something silly, I went to the bathroom. Tried to collect myself. Went back out to where the boys were eating breakfast. I confessed my lack of patience to Tadhg, explained that I was having a hard morning, and--feeling bone-weary--asked my toddler if he wanted to pray for me that God would help Mommy. As is his wont, he was contemplative and gave his usual insecure reply about praying out loud: "I don't have good words to pray..." I explained how we don't need good words. God hears us even when we don't have good words. He continued, "My mouth doesn't work right." Such a little Moses. I told him that was okay; he could pray inside his head, and God would still hear him. He quickly and sincerely said, "I am doing that!"

Later as I was washing him up after breakfast, he stared at me earnestly.

"Mom, you are a good mom for us. God didn't give us a princess mom, he gave us you for a mom. [Bear hug. More earnest gazing into my eyes.] I want you for my mom. You are a grreeeat Mom. God made you come for us. And God made Daddy come for us. And He made Daddy come for you."

I can't explain the keenness with which I knew God was talking to me through my just-newly-three-year old. In so many words, he acknowledged my sin and imperfection, pointed out that God gave us all to each other, and said he was glad. 

The size of his heart is matched only by the size of his temper when roused, and I trust that as the first grows the second will shrink in proportion. 

How I love him.

.................................................................................................................

Later, to Pip as they were getting ready to go outside: "Pip, you are the beeeest little Pippi in the whole world ever!!!"

Par for the course. Either fighting like cats and dogs or loving each other with the same intensity.

2 comments:

  1. "Such a little Moses." Love this turn of phrase!

    So grateful for God's words for you through him!

    ReplyDelete