Friday, March 19, 2021

Freeze-Frame: Tadhg Talks Digestion (Warning, Grandma Johnson--GRAPHIC [!!!] CONTENT)

It was lunchtime. Rundy was sitting down with the boys while I puttered around doing chores. Rundy told Pippin he needed to eat so he had energy. 

Tadhg interjected.

"I'm eating lots so I have energy! My food goes down here [pointed to his chest] through a tube down here into my stomach and goes all around [lots of abdomen pointing] and gets mixed into poop." 

My conversations with Tadhg about food and digestion have been largely limited to how food gives your body energy. And, of course, the obvious food-going-down-the-wrong-pipe bit. I puzzled over how he learned some of the details and then remembered this book on our shelves: 


I cracked it open and found this, among other things:


And this: 


At some point nearly daily (often more than once a day), things will get quiet. I'll go into the living room and find Tadhg (and often Tadhg and Pip both) sitting quietly poring over books they fetched from our shelves. 

When I asked Tadhg if that was the book he meant when he told Daddy he'd learned it in a book, he gave a quick, "Yep!"

Kid-reachable bookshelves are a great thing. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure that were that book in our house when we were Tadhg's age, that naughty page with poop would have been mysteriously edited, and Magic Marker clothing added to all the see-through people.

    ReplyDelete